Pinterest has seen a huge spike in user growth during this pandemic. When the world’s population was in lockdown, people turned to social media platforms for online browsing, inspiration, and shopping.
From 400 million users by the end of the last quarter of 2021, the numbers have now reached 433 million active users per month according to Pinterest.
Wonder what topics users are searching for on the site? Let’s dive right in.
And when you’re done check out our other Pinterest guides:
- How To Do The Pinterest Trend?
- How to Organize Pinterest Boards?
- How to Go Viral on Pinterest and Get Famous
Table of Contents
What Are Pinterest Categories?
Categories make searches easier. By grouping Pins about a certain topic or interest, it lets people browse ideas that are relevant to their search.
There are currently 21 categories or interests to choose from. You can navigate to the list by clicking the ‘Explore’ tab on Pinterest.
You can check out the ideas for each topic here. Simply click on a category to start browsing Pins on Pinterest.
- Animals – This includes ideas regarding baby animals, pets, memes with animals, and loads of cute animal pics.
- Architecture – Explore the world of architecture, classical structures, modern homes, urban spaces, and anything related to designing and building.
- Art – This section is all about the creative side of people. Pinterest features gifted artists all over the world for a daily dose of art. Check out the trending art styles and projects you can do at home in this category.
- Beauty – It’s all about taking care of your face, hair, nails, skin, and body. Bring out the best-looking you with helpful daily care tips and makeup tutorials. Be ready for any occasion with lots of style ideas to choose from.
- Design – This section houses anything related to design: logo creation, lettering, lay-outing, packaging, product design, web design, and anything in between.
- DIY and Crafts – The category that is always full of new ideas is DIY and Crafts. People are constantly sharing projects that they’ve done and crafts that you can easily make at home with the kids. Users also get tons of gift ideas from this part of Pinterest, so it’s always good to check out this category.
- Education – Anything related to school and learning can be found here. Get new ideas for classroom posters, fun learning activities for young children, and exciting lesson plans for the school year.
- Electronics – For the tech-savvy and people who would like to get updated on the latest in tech and gadgets.
- Event Planning – It’s the handy go-to when planning a big event. Get creative with the menu, venue decor, giveaways, and activities.
- Finance – This is for anyone who would like to know more about financial health, investing, and budgeting.
- Food and Drink – Everybody loves food. And this is where they go on Pinterest to look for recipes, healthy meal plans, and food photography.
- Holidays – People love celebrating. This is where they can get ideas on how to make the holidays more festive with fun decorations, recipes fit for the occasion, and crafts to make each event memorable.
- Home Decor – Get inspired by various interior designs and creative ideas to turn your home into your dream personal space.
- Lawn and Garden – Even without a natural green thumb, you can learn how to cultivate the garden of your dreams with the contributions in this category.
- Men’s Fashion – Men, step out of the plain shirt and sneakers look. Be always in style with chic ideas found in this section.
- Quotes – Get motivated with daily inspirational quotes on Pinterest. Find the mantra that will push forward to a better you.
- Tattoos – Planning to get a new tattoo? This is where you can browse through endless awesome tattoo designs.
- Travel – Dreaming of your next getaway? Make it a reality by searching for the best places to visit.
- Vehicles – All about cars, motorcycles, boats, and airplanes. Get the latest news and top care tips for your vehicle.
- Weddings – Planning the big day is as easy as choosing Pins from this page. Get creative wedding ideas and more to make the occasion an unforgettable one.
- Women’s Fashion – Check out what’s hot every season in this section dedicated to women’s clothing. Get ideas on how to achieve the look you want and how to dress in style for cheap.
Do Categories Matter on Pinterest?
As a brand, tagging your Pins in a certain category will help increase your visibility. Whenever a user clicks a category, for example, ‘Women’s Fashion,’ and you have Pins under that topic, then your Pins will be included in the category feed the user will be browsing.
The 10 Most Popular Pinterest Categories
Before the end of 2021, Pinterest released an article predicting the top trends to watch out for in 2022. These were derived from their users’ searches and the topics the company plans to explore based on these trends.
Just as the site predicted, all the trends they have outlined in the article are included in the current trending categories today.
Without further ado, here are the top 10 popular Pinterest categories, in no particular order. These are based on the trends people are searching for on the site every day.
1. Food and Drink
There’s always a food-related Pin on everyday searches. From healthy food choices to foods to match the moods, and easy-to-prepare meals, Pinterest has everything that people look for in this category.
2. Women’s Fashion
Everyone wears clothes every day of the year. Never run out of OOTD ideas with Pinterest’s daily style recommendations. See the hottest trends and get the best tips to look chic and stylish.
Caring for your body is an everyday affair. Good thing, Pinterest has loads of ideas to help you in this daily task. Get lots of skin and hair care tips to keep looking youthful and beautiful.
4. DIY and Crafts
Everyone is stuck at home with lots of time on their hands. To regain some sanity and control in their life, people are turning to DIYs and art projects.
There’s always something to celebrate each month. And people are turning to Pinterest to get fast and creative ideas to make each occasion special. It’s also home to funny holiday-related memes that you can send to your friends and family.
Lots of people love visiting various places. But with the travel restrictions due to the pandemic, the next best thing is to see Pins of beautiful locations around the globe.
Get a dose of creativity and awe from these collections on Pinterest. From classical paintings to urban photography, you are sure to always have a feast for the eyes.
There is design in everything. Even your handwriting falls under design. Improve penmanship and other design-related skills with the tips and tricks under this category.
People are constantly seeking affirmation. And these inspirational quotes are their daily pill. Boost your mood and be the best version of yourself with the help of these words of wisdom.
The pandemic has affected children and schooling all over the world. This category on Pinterest is helping millions and billions of parents and kids to cope with the new material.
How to Decide Which Pinterest Categories to Target?
One photo can fall under more than one category. But you wouldn’t want to just cast worms in the vast sea of Pinterest. The most advantageous way is to know where to put your bait so that lots of people will gobble it up.
To help you decide which categories to choose, let’s take a look at the current demographic on Pinterest this 2022:
- 76.7% are women, and only 15% are men
- 29.1% of the women are between 25 and 34 years of age
- Over 16% of the women are between 18 and 24 years old
- 60% of Pinterest users have a family with children 5 years and younger
- 40% of users have a household income of more than $100,000 per year
- 50% of active users are planning to spend money on food
- 86% of millennial Pinterest users plan life moments using inspirations from Pins
From this data, we can paint a picture of the majority of Pinterest users:
- A young mother with the financial means to decorate her dream home and choose healthy meals for her family.
Choose the most relevant category that will attract this type of user.
You can also base your categories depending on what users are searching for on Pinterest.
There are lots of entertaining categories to choose from on Pinterest. And they all receive tons of views. Just choose the right one where your brand fits.
The next important thing to consider then is your target audience. Look at what type of population the platform has. So, you can adapt your marketing strategies.
Lastly, organize Boards, make sections, and tag Pins in the most relevant categories to optimize your visibility. Share them on popular Boards to gain Pinterest followers.
If you don’t have an idea how to start your journey, here’s a helpful article to help your brand’s growth on Pinterest: Getting Started on Pinterest? Important Things You Need to Do.